Sunday, September 19, 2010

Seol seeks ACL glory to ease World Cup pain

Seol Ki Hyun
Pohang Steelers’ Seol Ki-hyun is hoping that AFC Champions League 2010 glory can help ease the pain of missing out on Korea Republic’s FIFA World Cup squad.

After a strong career in Europe, the 31-year-old returned home to play in the K-League last season with high hopes of getting into Huh Jung-moo’s national side, who went on to reach the last 16 of the tournament in South Africa.

But a knee injury prevented him from making the squad and now the former Wolves, Reading and Fulham player is determined to help his club the Steelers defend the title they won last year.

“It was really disappointing to miss out on the World Cup and, for a while, I found it difficult to accept the situation,” Seol told the-afc.com. “I came to K-League because I really wanted to play in the World Cup.

“But I now want to win the AFC Champions League with Pohang. Although the operation went really well, I have haven’t fully recovered and feel some pain after games.

“My stamina, however, is fine so I am able to last a whole match.

Seol was on the pitch for the full 90 minutes as Pohang went down 2-1 to Zob Ahan in Esfahan in the first leg of the ACL quarter-finals on Wednesday.

He has played 10 K-League matches since making his debut on July 10, scoring five goals and two assists.

“The team are in good form and every one of us really want to help Pohang defend our title,” he said.

“I would also like to thank all the Asian fans who have supported me,” added Seol, who played for Saudi Arabia’s Al Hilal on loan in the ACL last year.

Source: the-afc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment